Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 181: The Trip Comes to An End, Yet A New Journey Begins! – Guangzhou, China


(Him: Charlie)

Sitting at 30,000 ft in the air approaching GZ, we are closing in on the conclusion of Jo.Charvel’s Euro-Asia trip. In a little more than an hour, I am about to see my hometown for the first time in nearly 3 years. To me, GZ may well be the end this amazing trip.

Looking back in the last 6 months, it has been as awesome time with Joanna through dozens of countries and countless different cultures. We began to lose count on the number of countries we’ve been to – for some we spent merely hours, but others for weeks, so what does the number matter? To us, getting to know every culture along the way, as well as reflecting on pieces of history, are the essence of this journey! Just on the topic of religions, we have traversed through areas dominated by Eastern Orthodox, Catholic, Christian, Judaism, Islam, Tibetan Buddhism, and even the original Chinese Taoism. On every encounter, we spent hours reading Wikipedia and gaining invaluable knowledge that we would otherwise never get to now back home.

As this journey comes to an end, it is quite sad to realize I will stop backpacking for a while, but at the same time, I feel energized about the new life in HK. During the last few days on the Qing-Zang railway, my mind would often imagine Jo and I living and working in HK. To me, the experience ahead is in an uncharted territory and the excitement is definitely no less than backpacking! I am glad that I will be sharing this exciting experience life with Jo. So let the thrill begin and see what life can throw at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment