Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 92: Overcoming My Stereotype


(Her: Joanna)

Interacting with Romanian in Romania definitely surprised me.  From the interaction with the few Romanian I experienced in Canada, my impression of Romanian is that they are not the friendliest type, are strong characters and express their opinion very boldly and bluntly.  Gosh! Am I wrong!  We have met some friendliest people in Romania who reached out to help us when we look lost on the street multiple times; we were welcomed at the pensions we stayed with great hosts; greet with curious Romanian in Northern Romania who tried to speak and communicate with us; and random old couples who are street vendors warm-heartedly gave me half a dozen of apples because I am a foreigner visiting their home town.  This experience taught me a lesson in what prejudice is.  A few bad apples can create erroneous prejudice and misunderstanding.  Hence, keeping an open mind especially to a culture, a nation and a country is important to avoid unnecessary conflict.  



(the old lady who gave me a bag-full of apples)

No comments:

Post a Comment