Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 90: Celebrate Death?

(Her: Joanna)

In the village of Săpânţ (Maramureş county), there is a “Merry Cemetery” (Romanian: Cimitirul Vesel).  All the gravestones are colored blue and on the gravestones written a funny summary of the life of the person buried there along with a craved picture that illustrate the character of the person.  If the person died in a tragic death, at the back of the gravestone will also have a summary of how they die with a funny twist.  I quite like the idea.  



 
(the happy cemetery - funny stories are written on graves to commemorate the departed)

Here is a sample of what’s on the gravestone:

"Here I rest. Manaila Ion Mahumesc is my name and I have been the boy of Nani. There are few people like me. I was a nice guy and handsome. But I have not been lucky because I died as a young guy and my body is now destroyed in the earth. Dear mother and wife, God should take care of you and my children, because I loved all of you very much. And I wait that we will meet again."

End of a life should be celebrated.  It should be the life of the person and what they did or achieved we shall remember.  Death is a normal stage of life.  If a person spent a colorful and well lived life, their departure should be celebrated in a happy note. 

For more translation of the gravestone, visit to this page http://papillontravels.net/sapantaindex.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment