Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 2: Highline Park – An abandoned track that elevates New York

(Him: Charlie)


Although I am here mostly to see my cousin, there is one attraction in New York that I am determined to visit the Highline Park – an elevated railway track that was abandoned several decades ago and subsequently revitalized and transformed by local community. The area along the track is now a splendid urban park filled with flowers and plants. Today, this abandoned track elevates the life of New Yorkers, both literally and figuratively. The park is so elegantly designed that adjacent buildings start to opening up terraces that oversee the park. Highline Park
I heard about this park about a year ago from Monocle and was impressed by the successful transformation. Now that I am seeing it with my own eyes, I can feel the serenity the park brings to this bustling metropolitan. In a way, it is ironic that the railway track, which used to symbolize the industrial and commercial life in the area, is now offering a piece of mind-soothing nature to the local residents!

No comments:

Post a Comment