Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 1: Toronto to New York Bus Journey

(Him: Charlie) 


The day is here even before I’m ready! In the last 48 hours, I was running around like a chicken with the head cut off. Everything was done too last minute (I have to admit)! In hindsight, I should have left work 1 day earlier. Oh well… Let the adventure begin!
Contrary to most people think, our trip actually starts with a bus journey – we are taking a bus from Toronto to New York because A, I want to visit my cousin before I leave North America, B, the flight from New York is substantially cheaper than that from TO. Due to my unpleasant experience with Mega Bus last year, I decided to take Greyhound this time. However, it wasn’t any better. First there was delay due to overbooking and then there was no wifi onboard. I used to think bus journeys in North America should be better than South America, but after these two trips, I have learned not to expect anything high from our bus companies. Another interesting encounter was border crossing. I would strongly advice against the idea of taking buses to Buffalo for cheap flights, unless you have a ton of time to kill. Firstly, buses, just like other vehicles, are subject to severe delay at the border, depending on traffic. Secondly, since the entire bus must be offloaded to go through custom, just like at the airport, the wait time is hardly predictable. OK, enough complaints on Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment